In 2012, Dieppe celebrated the 60th anniversary of its incorporation as a city. Despite its relatively young age, its land has been inhabited for hundreds of years. Monuments have been erected in locations throughout the city to highlight the contributions of these first residents. A number of areas have also been declared heritage sites. As well, a number of streets carry the name of some of our founders.
The first Acadians settled on the land now known as Dieppe in 1730. In 1910, the area known as French Village became known as Leger's Corner which, in turn, became the Village of Dieppe in 1946. The name Dieppe was chosen to honour the memory of the 913 Canadians who died in combat on the beaches of Dieppe, France, on August 19, 1942, during the Second World War.
On January 1, 1952, the Village of Dieppe became the Town of Dieppe. On January 1, 2002, the municipality was designated as the City of Dieppe.
Since 1952, Dieppe has had several mayors:
Since its incorporation, the City of Dieppe's population has never stopped growing. In 1952, our population was 3,500, and is now 25,384.
*Data taken from Statistics Canada Census